May 3, 2007

Momentum - Heaven or Hell?

I realize that I have forgot to post about Wednesday nights for a long time. I will try to catch you up on the things that God has been teaching us. We are still going through the 30 Core Truths. It has been a wild ride as we have tackled many items of interest. Such as "Why is there sin in the world?", "Did Jesus really raise from the dead?", "Is the Bible really God's word?" and many more. In fact if you are looking to know exactly what we are covering you can go to www.dare2share.org and check out their free Soul Fuel articles. There are over 360 articles to read and you can take your pick on a subject that is interesting to you. Also, if you are daring you can sign up for their E-Soul Fuel edition that is sent right to your e-mail. It is both for parents and youth! There are definitely NEAT things out there if you just look!

So, before I complete chase that rabbit down the hole. Let me give you a snip of what we discussed last night. We talked about eternal places...mainly two...Heaven and Hell! What an interesting discussion. Do you find it difficult that God says little about Heaven in his word, but Hell is mentioned quite a bit? What about Heaven and Hell are they real places, or do we just make them up to satisfy our desire for the unknown?
God's word is true- there are literal places that we go when we die. We spend eternity somewhere. I know where I will spend mine, do you?
We discuss Hell not to scare anyone into Heaven, but to paint a real picture of what eternity could be spent with. God's word, the Bible, describes it like this....

If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better to enter heaven
with only one hand than to go into the unquenchable fires of hell with two
hands. If your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better to enter heaven
with only one foot than to be thrown into hell with two feet. And if your eye
causes you to sin, gouge it out. It is better to enter the Kingdom of God half
blind than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, `where the worm never dies
and the fire never goes out.' (Mark 9:43-48)

Where the worm never dies and the fire never goes out! Sounds hot and torturous to me. However, we realize that God's word also speaks about Heaven as a real place as well.

Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my
Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. ( John 14:1-3)

We can be where Jesus is and share in glorifying God in perfect righteousness. This righteousness comes only from Christ, because He was and is the only one that has never sinned.

What will Heaven be like? I am not totally sure, but the one thing that I do know is that I want to be where Jesus is and I could care less what the rest of it looks like. I want only to see my Savior's face and to look upon the glory and majesty of God.


1 comment:

Cassandra said...

Rev. 14:9-13, "And another angel, a third, followed them, saying with a loud voice,
'If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand, he also will drink the wine of God's wrath, poured full strength into the cup of his anger, and he will be tormented with fire and sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever, and they have no rest, day or night, these worshipers of the beast and its image, and whoever receives the mark of its name.'

Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus. And I heard a voice from heaven saying, 'Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.'

'Blessed indeed,' says the Spirit, 'that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow them!'